Saturday, December 09, 2006

The 'Flu'

Hold Fast
(Mercy Me)

To everyone who's hurting
To those who've had enough
To all the undeserving
That should cover all of us
Please do not let go
I promise there is hope

Hold fast
Help is on the way
Hold fast
He's come to save the day
What I've learned in my life
One thing greater than my strife
Is His grasp
So hold fast

Will this season ever pass?
Can we stop this ride?
Will we see the sun at last?
Or could this be our lot in life?
Please do not let go
I promise you there's hope

You may think you're all alone
And there's no way that anyone could know
What you're going through
But if you only hear one thing
Just understand that we are all the same
Searching for the truth
The truth of what we're soon to face
Unless someone comes to take our place
Is there anyone?
All we want is to be free
Free from our captivity, Lord
Here He comes

So this is another song which passed my path during the past while of rest. I thought I would post it, as I'm tired and not feeling good, so don't have the creative juices to write.

People have been asking what I'm sick with, but honestly, I don't really have an answer. It's feels like the flu which never goes away. A flu which gets worse when I am running around doing all which needs done, which gets worse when I'm feeling under pressure or stress.

In June, I read an article which gave 20 signs of burn-out. I dismissed it, as I'm a stay-at-home mom...there's no way I could suffer from this. I found the symptoms quite interesting. I am again looking through the symptoms...to see where my burn-out number is at, 'cause see, when I did go through and mark off the ones I had in June, I was quite taken aback.

~Unusual mood swings that may include weeping without just cause, anger, or depression

~Exhaustion

~Paranoia and suspicion

~Weight change, including gain or loss

~Moments of panic and feeling totally overwhelmed

~Fantasizing about dying or running away to get away from the pressure

~Fight-or-flight cycles where you rise up to intimidate and conquer others or run away from difficulties just to avoid them

~Insomnia, including difficulty falling asleep or remaining asleep, which can lead to a reliance on sleeping pills

~Too frequent use of alcohol or tobacco

~High blood pressure

~Comforting yourself with unhealthy foods packed with fat, sugar, and simple carbohydrates

~General irritability

~Reckless driving

~Change in sexual desire of either noticeable increase or decrease

~Notable ongoing sexual temptation

~Health-related issues such as irritable bowel syndrome, headaches, heart trouble, chronic sickness, and stomach problems including ulcers

~A victim mentality that sees the world as against you and everyone as an enemy to varying degrees

~Shopping sprees and unnecessary financial spending

~Reliance on caffeine to self-medicate

~Children, friends, and loved ones begin to feel like yet another burden


So as I sit right now, I again think about the fact of whether I actually have the 'flu' or not. One good thing which has come out of the Fall...I am continuing to make changes and they are very slowly making a difference.

4 comments:

Corry said...

You are in my prayers, Cinder.

I have to confess, alot of these "symptoms" sound very familiar to me. But... God gives what's needed when it's needed. Hold on, girl. This too shall pass!

((((HUGS))))

God's Grace.

joyce said...

have you considered "anxiety disorder"? very treatable. consider seeing your doctor.

Anonymous said...

Crazy job stress anyways - I think at times this affects me in some aspect in my daily life (ex: friends being burdens)...I just take it as it comes - some stress has to exist in order to perform - I get home and to me this is a rest place. The friends burden thing can be directly related to involving myself in too many things (ex:committee's)...but I understand my worth and value to this city as a whole.

audrey` said...

Please take care, dearest Cinder.

You're much loved and thought of by me =)
Your constant encouragement is a great source of strength in my life.

Juesus loves you!