Thursday, December 21, 2006

My Christmas Wish

Grown-Up Christmas List
(David Foster & Linda Thompson Jenner)

Do you remember me
I sat upon your knee
I wrote to you with childhood fantasies

Well I'm all grown-up now
And still need help somehow
I'm not a child
But my heart still can dream

So here's my lifelong wish
My grown-up Christmas list
Not for myself
But for a world in need

[Chorus:]
No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start
And time would heal all hearts
Everyone would have a friend
And right would always win
And love would never end
This is my grown-up Christmas list

As children we believed
The grandest sight to see
Was something lovely
Wrapped beneath our tree

Well heaven surely knows
That packages and bows
Can never heal a hurting human soul

[Chorus]

What is this illusion called
The innocence of youth
Maybe only in our blind belief
Can we ever find the truth

[Chorus]


This song was played at my kids' school Christmas play yesterday. It truly is my Christmas wish. People asked what I wanted for Christmas this year and I said nothing...I gave a few ideas, because that answer didn't fly, but I truly don't want much in terms of material things. I've got everything I need...a loving Heavenly Father, a devoted and loving husbands, the blessings of our love and product through our three beautiful blessings. I've got health, a place to call home, food to eat, gifts to use in God's kingdom. I've got resources which I can use to help those around me which are in more need of them than I.

This song speaks my heart...it speaks what I wish this world could be. It gives me a vision to work towards, and gives inspiration to not give up, but instead continue on doing what I'm called to do.

My kids' school did a project called "Santa's Workshop". They had countless items donated to the school to be sold. The grade 8 students sorted them, priced them and prepared "Santa's Workshop". Then the upper grades took the younger grades through and students were able to purchase items for family members at very low cost ($0.50 - $1.00). Then the grade 8's wrapped the presents and the kids were excited to bring home their purchases, so that they could surprise and gift people.

The main purpose behind "Santa's Workshop" was much more than this. The students were thankful to be blessed with so much and realized that there are many families who aren't so fortunate. They wanted to give something in return to these families...to show their friendship and love towards them. Through this project, they raised $1,017 which they are donating to a local Women's Shelter, to help make Christmas a little better for these women and their children.

As they play their video, which showed the preparation and all that went on in this project, this song played. It was so fitting and such a blessing to see God's love in action. It took my breath away and also brought home the point that my kids are exactly where they are supposed to be. They will be used for God's kingdom in their school and are going to grow in very strong ways.

I pray that your Christmas will be a very blessed one, and that you'll feel the strong presence of His love and Spirit with you throughout this very special season!


"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."
~ Isaiah 9:6

2 comments:

audrey` said...

Dearest Cinder!!!

Hi sister!!!
How are you?

Thank you so much for your friendship =)

Wishing you and your family a very Blessed Christmas!

(((HUGS)))

Jenny said...

Is it Amy Grant who performs that song? I really like it a lot.

That's wonderful that your kids' school did that, and then donated the money to a women's shelter. That's exactly what we need... a little more focusing on giving and a little less on receiving.

Merry Christmas, Friend! **hugs** and best wishes for an amazing year coming up!!!!